School Nurse

Angie Witt-Thompson, RN 
District Nurse
303-644-3234 x 2202 (BIS) or x 1235 (BES)
Minerva Santoyo
Nurse Assistant
303-644-3234 x 2202
  1. First, don't panic. Check their inhaler to make sure it still has medicine.
  2. If necessary, you can likely use their expired albuterol inhaler as it probably still at least partially effective.
  3. If you can't obtain a refill on their meter dose inhaler, contact your health care provider as there are other options available which they can prescribe.
  4. It is important that they don't overuse their albuterol inhaler as one canister should last for months
  5. If you have any concerns or questions, don't hesitate to contact me via email.  I am always monitoring my messages.


Colorado law requires all students attending Colorado schools and licensed child cares to be vaccinated against certain diseases unless a medical or non-medical exemption is filed.  Schools and child care programs can only accept a medical exemption written on the CDPHE form.  (Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment)
Medical Exemption:
  • Students with a completed Certificate of medical exemption signed by an advanced practice nurse, a delegated physician assistant, or physician licensed to practice medicine or osteopathic medicine in any state or territory of the United States will need to submit this Certificate only once unless the student’s information or school changes.
  • You can submit a Certificate of medical exemption with CDPHE to include in the Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS). Check with your student’s school, child care or college/university to find out if they want the printed copy of the Certificate of medical exemption or, if they can access the “submitted” document from CIIS.
Non-medical Exemption:

Beginning in the 2021-2022 school year (7/1/2021), the process of submitting a nonmedical exemption will change. There will be two ways to submit a nonmedical exemption. 

Be sure to check with your student’s school, child care or college/university to find out if they need a printed copy of the Certificate of nonmedical exemption or if you submit to CIIS, the school is able to access the Certificate of nonmedical exemption from CIIS.

  • Submit the Certificate of nonmedical exemption WITH a signature from an immunizing provider in Colorado who is a medical doctor, doctor of osteopathic medicine, advanced practice nurse, delegated physician’s assistant, or pharmacist  OR
  • Submit the Certificate of nonmedical exemption received upon the completion of CDPHE’s Online Immunization Education Module.
  • Per Colorado Revised Statutes 25-4-2403, immunizing providers who sign the Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption must submit nonmedical exemption data to CIIS
  • Parents of students in preschool or child care must submit nonmedical exemptions at 2, 4, 6, 12 and 18 months of age. These exemptions expire when the next vaccines are due or when the child enrolls in kindergarten.
  • Parents of students in grades K-12 claiming a nonmedical exemption must submit one annually. Nonmedical exemptions expire June 30th each year. If you submit a Certificate of nonmedical exemption on or before June 30th, it will not be valid for the upcoming school year unless you submit the exemption during early registration.
  • Students in college/university claiming a nonmedical exemption must submit a Certificate of Nonmedical Exemption upon enrollment
For further information, click on link below.
When to Keep a Sick Child Home From School

Click on "Is my child too sick for school?" found under 'Forms'

Medicine Bottle Clip Art - Medicine Bottle Clip Art - Free Transparent PNG  Clipart Images Download Medicine Cartoon png download - 512*512 - Free Transparent Inhaler png  Download. - CleanPNG / KissPNG Epi-Pen Epinephrine Graphic" Sticker by lilytepper | Redbubble 
Does your child plan on taking medication at school?


Non-Prescription Medication (Over-The-Counter), such as pain medications, cough syrup, cough drops or creams, will NOT be administered without a completed form signed by the parent/guardian and provider. Medications must be brought to school in their original container and clearly marked with the child's name. (See bullet points below)

Prescription Medications will need an order form completed and signed by the parent/guardian and the physician.  (See bullet points below)

  • Older students may self carry inhalers and EpiPens with a parent/guardian and health provider's permission.
  • High school students may carry one day supply of prescription and/or over-the-counter medication (in its own original container) without a "permission to carry" form on file.
  • Middle schools students may carry one day supply of over the counter medication {in the original container) without a "permission to carry" form. However, a one-day supply of prescription medication requires a "permission to carry" on file.
I have attached the two videos on puberty for 4th graders.  I would be more than happy to speak with your son/daughter if they have questions after viewing the video. Also contact me if you have trouble accessing link.  These can also be found online.