School Nurse

  1. First, don't panic. Check their inhaler to make sure it still has medicine.
  2. If necessary, you can likely use their expired albuterol inhaler as it probably still at least partially effective.
  3. If you can't obtain a refill on their meter dose inhaler, contact your health care provider as there are other options available which they can prescribe.
  4. It is important that they don't overuse their albuterol inhaler as one canister should last for months
  5. If you have any concerns or questions, don't hesitate to contact me via email.  I am always monitoring my messages.


Colorado law requires all students attending Colorado schools and licensed child cares to be vaccinated against certain diseases unless a medical or non-medical exemption is filed.  Schools and child care programs can only accept a medical exemption written on the CDPHE form.  (Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment)
  • Medical Exemption - This form must be signed by a Medical Doctor (MD), Doctor or Osteopathy (DO), Advanced Practice Nurse (APN). or a delegated Physicians Assistance (PA). (Download form)
  • None-Medical Exemption include personal belief or religious exemptions. These type of exemptions do not need to be signed or approved by medical professional. Whenever your child would ordinarily receive a vaccination, you must file a non-medical exemption:
  1. Complete CDPHE non-medical exemption form and hit "submit". This will automatically send it to Colorado Immunization Information System (CIIS).
  2. Complete the non-medical exemption form and submit it to your child's school. (Download form) 
  3. Provide a statement of exemption. This should include: child's name. age and date of birth, date of exemption was submitted, the vaccines being declined and whether it's personal or religious belief.
  • If your child is entering the 6th grade, they will need a Tdap. For further information, review "Tdap Letter" under 'Forms'
For further information, click on link below.
When to Keep a Sick Child Home From School


Click on "Is my child too sick for school?" found under 'Forms'
Will your child be taking medication at school? If so,
  • An order from your provider is required. (Download Asthma Care Plan, Allergy/Anaphylaxis, Authorization for Medication to be Given at School Care Plan provided below) 
  • Any "Over-The-Counter" medications requires an order from your provider.
  • Students can only self-carry emergency medications, which are inhalers and EpiPens. If you want your child to self-carry either one of these medications during school hours, please include Self-carry  contract with order.  (Download form provided below)
I have attached the two videos on puberty for 4th-5th graders.  I would be more than happy to speak with your son/daughter if they have questions after viewing the video. Also contact me if you have trouble accessing link.  These can also be found online.